[BlindMath] UEB Math History/Methodology

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Sat Jul 8 15:40:36 UTC 2017

Sarah,

There isn't a real simple answer to your question.  UEB math is an attempt
to make literary braille and mathematical braille fit together better.  The
period and the decimal point use the same symbol in braille as they are in
print, to pick a very simple example.  We see more math in literary braille
now, so it also means that other symbols that you might see in a novel or in
a magazine article are the same in UEB math such as the plus sign.  It also
means that internet addresses can be written using the same symbols with
less of a need to use a separate computer braille code.  I think it is fair
to say that there were mathematicians involved in the development of UEB
math.

However, UEB math is very different than the Nemeth Code which has been used
for math in the United States for many years.  It is, in my opinion, much
more difficult to move from Nemeth Code to UEB math than it is to switch to
reading UEB for text.  Therefore, Nemeth Code is still in use here in the
United States.  Having transcribers already familiar with Nemeth Code also
plays a role.  There has been a good deal written showing that Nemeth Code
is more compact than UEB math, but there are legitimate questions about some
of the extreme comparisons.  This has been an emotional discussion here in
the United States.

I am a Nemeth Code user but have tried to portray the two codes in as
unbiased way as I can.  What probably determines which code you should learn
is where you hope to get most of your braille texts.  It is going to be
worth learning Nemeth Code if you will be getting math texts from the United
States.  If you will be getting texts from Canada, then learning UEB math is
probably what makes sense.

Finally, I think learning either code is sometimes made to sound harder than
it needs to be.  There are a lot of math symbols that sighted people don't
learn at the outset.  If one learns what one needs to perform the math at a
given level, the job isn't that tough.  One can then build upon what one
learns as one gets into more complex math.  It is, for example, hard to
remember the integral sign if one does not know what an integral is.

Perhaps others who have used UEB math more than I will correct anything here
that is wrong.  I hope, though, that we can avoid a long discussion of which
is best.  I personally believe using the Nemeth Code in the United States
makes sense for us, but I do not believe that means that UEB math is not a
valid and useful code.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson