[BlindMath] Scanning braille for sight reading

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Wed Jul 26 13:52:03 UTC 2017

John,

I can see where increasing the DPI might help since the braille dot is
smaller than most characters.  Another thing to experiment with is whether
your scanner is getting the image in black and white or color.  I frankly
don't know which will work the best because such things seem variable.  I
have had cases, though, where low contrast differences on a page came out
better in black and white because of the binary nature, but it seems likely
that approach might cause some dots to not show at all falling below a
threshold.  Obviously, the brightness sensitivity can also matter.  I would
think that an instructor in such a course would have very specific
recommendations, though, or perhaps Hadley itself.  This does not seem like
it would be an unusual problem.

I, for one, would be interested to hear what you find out.  I don't
remember, are you an Optacon user?

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson