[BlindMath] Examples 10.7.1 in the UEB Rulebook 2nd ed: Why not use the st sign in the word "Youngstown"?

William Freeman wfreeman at aph.org
Thu Apr 19 11:33:43 UTC 2018

I think these are all examples where using the contraction would interfere with the pronunciation of the word. Take "chlordane" and "lordosis". The first word is pronounced chlor dane and the second is pronounced lord o sis. So in the first word the contraction is split between the two syllables. Same with "Parthenon", you don't say Part-henon, you say parth-enon.

"Today" is an exception. You don't use "day" because instead you'd use the whole word contraction "td".

Sword is a special example where the rule makers felt the reader wouldn't get confused and say swerd but would know to pronounce the word properly. I can't begin to guess the thinking of so many committees but I guess it's because it's a common word whereas the other examples are less common.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
William