[BlindMath] computer coding

Nimer Jaber nimerjaber1 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 22:00:45 UTC 2019

Hello,

First thing I might do is start out with lego mindstorm or some sort of
robotics, something fun. There are lots and lots of beginner programming
books on Bookshare. There are also many resources online for learning.
Common languages for students are Visual Basic, and Java I think Python
would not be a bad idea either. In terms of accessibility, the Eclipse
editor is good, and others use Visual Studio. I would stay away from
netbeans. Your student really will benefit from getting to know and be very
comfortable with their screen reader... I always told my students that they
should get married to it. When programming, it is helpful to really know
how to navigate and to know some of the more intermediate to advanced
functions of the screen reader. Particularly helpful, in my view, is the
ability to assign sound schemes using JAWS, and the ability to really
manage what is spoken in terms of punctuation.

Thanks.

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

up to you. Thanks.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

and above, please click here:
http://www.nvda-project.org

To contact me, you can reply to this email or you may call me at (970)
(393-4481) and I will do my best to respond to you promptly. Thank
you, and have a great day!