[BlindMath] JAWS or NVDA? Which is better with mathematical texts?

Saaqib Mahmuud saaqib1978 at yahoo.co.in
Tue Oct 29 08:39:50 UTC 2019

Hi BlindMath mates? Hope you're fine.
My name is Saaqib Mahmood, and I am a visually impaired (i.e. partially sighted) person from Abbottabad, Pakistan; I have got an MPhil degree in Mathematics and work as Assistant Professor at a mainstream government college.
Although I at present can read printed materials and ebooks in PDF or DJVU format by turning on High Contrast (Black), I still need to be able to use JAWS or NVDA properly in creating and accessing mathematical materials in case my eyesight deteriotates too much in future.
Besides, just yesterday, a student of the MSc in Mathematics program of the University of Peshawar contacted me and told me that he is losing the ability to read print as his eyesight is declining steadily.
In this backdrop, I request the help and support of the BlindMath community and enable people like me and that student to better access mathematics books using the commonly available computer screen reading software programs such as JAWS and NVDA.

My first query is which of these two programs (i.e. JAWS and NVDA) allows better accessibility when creating or accessing mathematics content?
How accessible using either JAWS or NVDA is  the task of creating mathematical content using MikeTex, for example?

And, how accessible is each one of these programs when accessing mathematical content using programs such as Adobe Acrobat Reader (for PDF documents) and WinDjView (for DJVU files)?
I hope the members of the BlindMath community will take time answering my queries in detail.

Regards.

Sincerely,

Saaqib Mahmood,
Assistant Professor of Mathematics,

Government Postgraduate College No. 1,
Abbottabad, PAKISTAN
Phone: 0092 334 541 7958 (for mobile and WhatsApp calls & messages)