[BlindMath] Question About Backtranslation of Nemeth Math

Susan Jolly easjolly at ix.netcom.com
Mon Sep 23 16:04:15 UTC 2019

I have a question for the people on this list.

I believe that it would be valuable for students who are using Nemeth math
as the basis for studying math in STEM subjects to be able to automatically
backtranslate their Nemeth math to a format which can be displayed as
standard print math. My question is this: do the people on this list agree
with me that such a capability would be useful and would actually be used?

The reason I want to know whether or not others agree with me on this issue
is because I've developed a free and open source Java app to backtranslate
digital Nemeth math to MathML. (The app only recognizes electronic files,
not embossed braille.) However since I can't provide the necessary
infrastructure for distributing and maintaining this software, I would need
to find an organization and a developer to take it on. And there's obviously
no point in my trying to do this unless there are a number of other people
who think such a capability is worth the effort.

Thank you,
Susan Jolly