[BlindMath] Question About Backtranslation of Nemeth Math

Susan Jolly easjolly at ix.netcom.com
Thu Sep 26 20:34:04 UTC 2019

Thanks to everyone for the helpful replies.  I'm glad that people think it
would be useful, especially for students.  I also welcome any additional
directly and  I plan to do this in the next few days.

Just in case I wasn't clear, I'm not interested in making money from this.
There also are various legal restrictions as far as other persons
incorporating or selling  open source software which you can find out a lot
about online if you are interested in this issue.  This is a link to a
sample output which references my old github repo.  However, be aware that
this is an older version, uploaded  more than a year ago, that is not
currently ready for beta testing or other public use.

http://www.dotlessbraille.org/mmlfrac.htm

My idea is that any version of the backtranslator, which I call BackNem,
released for public use would be not only free but be a simple-to-install
and simple-to-use single purpose utility.  I also hope it to be supported by
a modern automated change control and testing systems such that new versions
could be made as often as once a day if necessary.

It is has been my experience that spending the time to become familiar
enough with software written by other persons so that you can change it
yourself is not typically something easy to do.  In the case of BackNem one
would not only need some familiarity with Nemeth braille and electronic
braille file formats but also have considerable expertise using the ANTLR 4
parser generator and the Java programming language.  By contrast,  providing
documentation and short test problems so developers can address errors ASAP
can often be very helpful as can improving user documentation or helping new
users.

Thanks again
SusanJ