[BlindMath] Tips for correcting LaTeX errors

Alastair Irving alastair.j.irving at gmail.com
Mon May 3 12:40:27 UTC 2021

Hi

The error output from LaTeX usually gives some indication of what the
error is (for example a missing bracket or dollar sign or an unknown
command) as well as which line it thinks it's at.  The line number is
often after where the actual error is.  Personally I prefer to compile
from within my editor so I can jump directly to errors (I use Emacs with
Auctex but that won't be everybody's preference).  The bracket matching
commands in Emacs are also helpful for finding errors: if I jump to the
matching bracket and it's not where I expect then I have some idea what
the issue is.

To state the obvious, the best way of fixing errors is not to make them
in the first place!  What this means in practice is that when I type an
opening bracket I also put in the corresponding closing one, etc.  That
way I hopefully avoid mismatches.

HTH

Alastair