[humanser] newly blind

JD Townsend 43210 at bellsouth.net
Sat Dec 27 20:23:24 UTC 2008

Dear Nicole & List:

As we on the list, all counselors, find is that every action is based on a
complex combination of factors.  A person with good intentions may become a
blind rehabilitation counselor to help those poor, disadvantaged and
helpless people.  Others may seek the gratitude of those blind folks who
have been helped out of their pitiful positions into a job, real work.  It
is a far different counselor who may help a blind individual find their
talents have not been dulled by blindness and be encouraged to learn
excellent alternate methods to progress with their careers.

I don't see evil workers, but I have many times met workers who held only
very limited ambition for their clients, effectively damning them with their
recommendations.  I have been known to counsel folks that they can easily
out earn their rehab counselor if they will just allow their own ambition to
become engaged.

In my limited experience blindness rehabilitation counselors are, most
frequently, case managers with no real training in counseling, despite what
they may say.  The profession is not regulated or licensed.  Though the NFB
this picture is, very slowly, changing.

JD Townsend, LCSW
Daytona Beach, Florida, Earth, Sol System