[humanser] Jury finds IA Dept. for Blind'sguide dog policy does not discriminate

Alicia Richards alicia716 at msn.com
Sat Feb 21 04:07:05 UTC 2009

Hi, all. James, the key words in that statement are, "Persons who are
learning skills and techniques for dealing with blindness." It did not say,
for persons who are well-versed in O&M skills.  As Marion said, a person
must first learn basic mobility with a cane before they will be a competent
guide dog user. Centers like Iowa's are designed to teach those basic
skills.  Once a person has left the Center, they may use whatever mobility
aid they see fit.  Also, accusations like this are even more absurd when the
Director of the agency herself uses a guide dog, as do many employees at the
Department.  I was raised in Iowa and a client of IDB for years, so I've
seen this firsthand.

As far as public dollars, most colleges and universities receive public
money. Should they also not be able to teach curriculum as they see fit?
Should students be able to tell a university how to teach its courses?  Most
would say that's absurd.  You pick a school based on what curriculum fits
your needs. the same goes with where one receives their training in
blindness.

And, of course standards can be questioned. They just were, in this case,
and the court made its ruling.

Marion, I absolutely love reading your posts.  It's refreshing to see
someone in your position with the logical, rational views you have. Thank
you.

Alicia