[humanser] Medical Social Work

Mary Chappell mtc5 at cox.net
Thu Jan 1 00:27:32 UTC 2009

Leslie,
Welcome to the list. I am not working in social work however, I am currently
working on a psychiatric unit at a training hospital as the group and
individual counselor. I have only been there since September and, while I
love the work and having been learning a lot, I too have a variety of
challenges with documentation and access. We work with a completely
electronic data collection source, OPUS. JAWS has allowed accessibility to
certain components and not others. It is frustrating as I brief myself on
current patient status via the nurses recorded report and their immediate
verbal briefs but, have no access to patient records without benefit of
reader. My IT department continues to explore options. When I document I
write my notes in Word and copy and paste them in the notes section of OPUS.
There's a lot of back and forth but it works. Obviously, my documentation
tasks are nowhere the volume of the psychiatric social worker as she is
working on post discharge placement, psychiatric appointments, after-care
therapy appointments, and shelter options... a whole lot of documentation. I
don't know how much help I could be but feel free to email me off list if I
can assist. mtc5 at cox.net.
Warmly,
Mary Tatum Chappell