[humanser] Life after college

JD Townsend 43210 at bellsouth.net
Thu Jul 2 13:27:15 UTC 2009

Hello:

Welcome to this list.  We have a large number of folks from all sorts of
disciplines here, so you have asked good questions to a receptive group.
Many are flying out to Convention as I write, so it may benefit you to ask
again following Convention week.

I am a Clinical Social Worker and have never regretted the decision to get
this degree.  It allows for work in and outside of the confines of our
mental health system and allows for growth both latterly and upwards into
administration.  While I toyed with the administrative side I have found
that I missed the interaction with my clients.  Therein is my greatest
satisfaction in the work.  The greatest test is negotiating the issues of
agency politics and our sadly insufficient social services systems.

You asked about the interaction between the work and blindness.  I don't
have a lot to say about this.  If you have good blindness skills and
independence to address documenting in your own ways there is little
problem - at least once you are employed.  In 1980 with a new MSW degree
from Boston University it took me 50 interviews to get my foot into the
door.  Thereafter I've had little problem continuing employment and have
worked in many different jobs with a variety of populations.

It is difficult work and change is a process that works over time, so
results aren't as clear as they are when you build a dog house or repair a
leaking roof;  over time the results come clear, but often I find out when a
former client stops me in a dollar store and thanks me for work done several
years past or, like happened last week, a newspaper article praises some
recent accomplishments of a person who, a few years ago, was struggling
gravely in therapy.

Best of luck at Brown, I have two brothers who graduated from there and got
excellent educations.

JD Townsend, LCSW
Daytona Beach, Florida, Earth, Sol System