[humanser] Important Announcement!

Melissa Ann Riccobono melissa at riccobono.us
Tue Jun 30 19:18:55 UTC 2009

The following message is from Yolanda Garcia, NFB Human Services Board
Member.  She has tried to post it to this list for the past few days with no
results, so I am posting it for her.  I hope many of you can take advantage
of this opportunity at our seminar on July 5.

See you at convention.

Melissa

Hello Everyone,

The NFB national convention is just a few days away, and I'm sure everyone
is excited to attend the Human Services Division meeting to network with
other likeminded professionals. A couple months ago I submitted an
announcement about our therapeutic tool swap and just wanted to remind
everyone what it's all about once again.

As professional counselors, clinicians, practitioners, case workers, and
therapist, we are always looking to expand our toolbox of resources to help
with the direct practice of our clients. Purchasing many awesome therapeutic
tools and collecting literature are essential to enhancing our resources,
but can become expensive. Not to mention we may not know where to begin
looking for popular techniques with populations that are out of the scope of

clients we work with. Sometimes, there just isn't enough time in the day to
peruse around on the internet as well. Additionally, we may get some very
cool resources from fellow colleagues at work; however, they may not always
be blind friendly formats of literature or experiential exercises that can
be made accessible.

Our goal for the Swap is to have everyone attending bring their favorite
therapeutic tool/resource to share with the group. We will give everyone a
couple of minutes to explain what they brought and how it's worked well for
them and the services they provide to their clients. Items can include a
favorite book, handout, or worksheet packet scanned and saved on a memory
stick so that others maybe able to download them on their note takers or
laptops. You may also bring burned copies of DVD's or CD's with relaxation
techniques or different intervention styles that can be distributed. Or
perhaps you have modified an activity/game/exercises tactually that you use
with your clients and would like to show it to people to touch so that way
attendees can go home and make their own replica. You can get as creative as

you want with this therapeutic toolbox swap. We just ask that if you decide
to bring copies of printed handouts or materials that you make numerous
amounts of copies to distribute. We roughly have at least 50 members who
attend every year but believe that making 30 copies of any material would
suffice provided that not everyone receives a copy.

If you do not own a laptop/ notetaker, or are unable to bring anything
scanned and saved on a memory stick, we ask that you be willing to take
people's names and email addresses and send them a copy of the
materials/literature once you arrive home.

Please help ensure that this new agenda item be successful by participating!
I've got my tools ready to bring, how bout you?

Best Regards,

Yolanda, Human Services Board Member