[humanser] Practicum Interviews

JD TOWNSEND 43210 at Bellsouth.net
Sun Feb 21 00:54:32 UTC 2010

Hello Jeannie:

The last blind person I interviewed for a student internship in our Child &
Adolescent Psychiatric Center was the only one who I declined to supervise.
He expected the agency to provide his readers, was interested in counseling
because he wasn't making it in engineering, and had poor mobility skills.
He had no special interest in the field, had no comprehension of the
expectations of a work environment, and his blindness skills were lacking.

In interviewing for an internship you don't need to know a great deal, but
do check out the agency on the internet to get afull idea of their scope and
focus of service;  tell them of your interest in the value of the agency in
your educational, professional  and personal growth; and, the more you don't
focus on blindness issues, the less they will.  A simple explanation of how
you plan to access materials and do your paperwork should be sufficient.  I
like to say, "I really hate the paperwork, but I feel better when I'm up to
date with it - and I try to do this all the time.

During my interview for my current position, not an internship, my new dog
guide lay at my feet and licked one of my shoes through out the interview.
I did not want to be correcting or focusing on him, but on the talents I
would be bringing to the position.  I walked out with the job and a shoe so
wet that it made squishing sounds.

Best of luck.  Let us know how the interviews go.

JD Townsend, LCSW
Daytona Beach, Florida, Earth, Sol System