[humanser] A not so good experience

Kathy McGillivray kjm at usfamily.net
Thu Feb 25 10:19:20 UTC 2010

Hi, Cari. Thanks for sharing this experience. I wouldn't e too hard on
yourself. We all have these moments and they can be really frustrating on
multiple levels. At the same time, it's good you want to learn from the
experience. I have a few ideas, but am sure others can chime in.

First, think about how you would have liked to respond. It can sound cheesy,
but even go over in your mind some alternatives. Examples might be saying
things to the student like, "I'm glad there are some other resources here
for you. I'm wondering if we could try figuring this out. If that doesn't
work, let's have you work with the teacher." Another thing, believe it or
not, is to tell yourself to breathe. I know all of us counselor types have
told our clients this stuff a million times, but it's true. Sometimes, just
taking some time to breathe for a minute before responding can really help
us calm down. Another thing you can try if you know this type of situation
is a trigger for you to "make a sceen" is to give yourself a quick rest room
break. Sometimes, just removing yourself for a couple of minutes can help
you process a little bit.

I know none of these ideas are rocket science. It would be worth checking in
with the student to see how things are going. their learning style and your
tutoring style may differ a little bit and both of you may need to make some
adjustments.

Then, here's the hard part. We all need to remind ourselves when working
with students, clients, etc, that it is really about them and getting their
needs met, not about us. That can be super hard, sometimes. I feel these
things sometimes when i work with students who have learning disabilities. I
want to be able to see their disorganized backpack, schedule, or whatever. I
want to be able to point to the example on their sheet or easily highlight
or draw something for them. I can't usually do that. So, sometimes I'll have
a student work with one of my staff members to get some of that visual
feedback.

With all that said, I would have been really annoyed and would have felt
humiliated, too. Part of these types of experiences is that they bring back
other times when sighted people have jumped in to solve things for us. We
have to look at those internal messages which we are hearing and decide
whether we believe them or not.

Thanks for being vulnerable to the list in this way. These are the kinds of
things we need to be talking about because this experience you had is going
to happen again and again and again and it can be a pain. for what it's
worth, as I've gotten older and experienced more healing and grace in my
life, I've found that I can step back and give that to others more. I don't
tend to internalize these things as much. And sometimes, you have to "fake
it till you make it" when it comes to interacting with others around
blindness. Sometimes, that means saying thank you to someone, even when I'd
rather punch them in the nose.

One more thing. You may think the teacher was getting involved because you
are blind, but I can tell you that the teacher probably does this with other
tutors, as well. You are a peer tutor, after all. It may not be about
blindness as much as it is about the teacher wanting to jump in and help
anyone in that way.

Thanks for sharing your experience in such a clear way. I'll be interested
to see how others respond.

Kathy McGillivray