[humanser] A not so good experience

JD TOWNSEND 43210 at Bellsouth.net
Sat Feb 27 17:17:50 UTC 2010

Hi:

Your experience brings me back many years to a time when I was injured by
such behaviors.  At one time I had decided to write down a message to just
hand out to any and everyone who offended me as a blind person.  It has
taken me a long time to figure out that some people are just plain annoying
and that my blindness is not of great interest to them.  I think that it
dawned on me one day when a crowded street in New York when I had bumped
into a man, he responded by yelling at me, "What's the matter with you are
you blind?"  My white cane answered him plainly and he vanished into the
crowd.

I never handed out my angry blind fliers, and I'm glad that I didn't.  They
would not have helped.

I find that as you get to be known in the school/community/organization in
which you work that, slowly, people will learn to accept you for your
talents and abilities.  I have a patient in treatment who was the first
black person to enter his college, the first male to enter his nursing
school and the first gay male to adopt a child in his state  - we are not
alone but are all following in other's footprints in a long line of those
who have been discriminated against.

JD Townsend, LCSW
Daytona Beach, Florida, Earth, Sol System