[humanser] Dealing with blindness when applying to internships

Jonathan Alpert jna3434 at comcast.net
Fri Feb 26 19:47:35 UTC 2010

HI Milissa,

If you are at Lesley U in Boston, I too live in the Boston area and could
give you some ideas of companies to apply to if you would like.

As for your question, I was never asked about that except for  two clients.
To an  advisor I would explain to them that there is  much more to
counseling then eye contact and seeing what the person looks like. audeo
cues such as  a person's tone, rate and volume as well as where the voice is
coming from can present   a lot of what someone with vision sees. .

A lot of my clients liked talking to me because I can't see them. They know
I can not see but that doesn't undermind my intellagents. They like that I
do not "look" at them in some "wierd" way but rather I treat them as a
human. I don't ask  about their race or how big they are or if they "look"
unhealthy, but if I need to know these things, I'll either ask a coworker or
if it is in a form, I will ask the client like any other question that is on
the form.

Do not forget to remind them what you can do, and some of the computer
program you do have that will assist you  you in filling out any paperwork.
When I started my internships only 7 years ago, my company was still doing
things in paper, not in computer so there was a lot of things I couldn't do
that you now can.

Good luck and again, if you need any ideas on companies to apply to, let me
know.

Jonathan