[humanser] Dealing with blindness when applying to internships

JD TOWNSEND 43210 at Bellsouth.net
Sat Feb 27 17:48:15 UTC 2010

Hi:

I work in a large program and work with children, adolescents and adults.
The initial meeting can be interesting.  I will usually stand in the lobby
for a minute before calling the patient's name, letting them observe my
white cane and, often, short interaction with the receptionist.  I lead them
out of the lobby, holding the door for them and pause to introduce myself
and to ask if they are comfortable around dogs as I have my dog guide in my
office.  It is rare that anyone has a problem.  Then I lead them through the
maze of hallways and doors to my little office and welcoming dog.  I do not
raise the issue of my blindness until necessary.  The child or teen who nods
or shakes her head doesn't get the expected response from me, I just keep
"looking" at him until either he gets it or his parent says, "He can't see
you."  With some I might ask if they understand why I am using a white cane.

The questions that children ask are great and the ones that adults don't ask
are numerous.  So I invite questions more than make statements.  It is
always therapeutic when people use their language skills .  We call it talk
therapy for a reason.  Sometimes their questions about us allow for the
formation of a therapeutic connection.

One possible answer for a supervisor about forming relationships with
patients might be to ask, "Well, how am I doing with you"

Sometimes parents tell me that their teen is rolling their eyes at a comment
and I usually answer, "I heard them."  It doesn't take genius to tell the
emotional tenor of a person or a room.  In group therapy I find that the
group will notice when someone is out of sorts, sometimes I point it out,
sometimes they do.  Experience has been a great teacher for me in this;
your internship will be a great place to start gaining that experience for
you.

Best of luck.

JD Townsend, LCSW
Daytona Beach, Florida, Earth, Sol System