[humanser] Request for Feedback

Mary Ann Robinson brightsmile1953 at comcast.net
Fri Aug 26 02:10:07 UTC 2011

Hello everyone,

Here is a brief update on my current work situation with a little history.
In 2005, my therapist position was eliminated and I was laid off.  When that occurred,
I was a union officer who was striving to keep the union in tact.  Limited licensed
psychologists were being paid more than MSWs and LPCs.  I have an ACSW, had 21 years
of post masters experience at the time;  and I felt that there should be equal pay
for masters level professionals.  Social workers in my state are also fully licensed.  My employer didn't agree.  The union remained,
but I was laid off.

I tried to move into lower positions, but my employer said she couldn't accommodate
me due to my blindness.  I didn't agree.  She then created a quality management position
with a substantial pay cut that I accepted.
For reasons that I won't go into here, I'm still employed at the same private for
profit agency as the quality manager and corporate compliance officer ; and I'm making
nearly three dollars less per hour than I was earning as a clinician. The agency decertified from the union
in 2007.

Today, I just learned that a young man with an LLMSW, who was hired in April of this
year and who has had no post masters experience, is making 91 cents an hour less
than I am. Negative memories have been triggered as have feelings of being discriminated
against once again.

I don't know what recourse I have if any.  Thoughts and feedback would be appreciated.

Mary Ann Robinson,
LMSW, ACSW, CAADC