[humanser] introduction

Sarah Meyer sarah.meyer55 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 14:24:26 UTC 2011

Hello,
I am a student at Indiana Wesleyan University with one semester left
until I have earned my Bachelor's degree, majoring in Biblical
literature and minoring in Psychology and Christian ministry. (I know,
this may seem like a strange combination). I have drifted back and
forth between the Religion and Psychology departments, as both fields
spark my passion for serving and caring for people. I hope to
eventually attend grad school, though my direction is not specifically
clear at this point. I am thinking of following a path to either a MA
in counseling, a MSW, or a PhD in clinical psychology. Ultimately, I
would love to do some sort of psychotherapy. When I came across this
list, I became very excited to learn from others interested in this
field. I have some concerns about navigating certain challenges in
this profession, especially in regards to managing paperwork (intakes,
assessments, charts, etc). I am also concerned about challenges in
"reading" people when it comes to nonvisual, nonverbal communication.
So much is conveyed through body language that I have limited access
to, and I don't want to miss out on assisting people most effectively
just because of these limitations.
I just wanted to introduce myself and say that I am looking forward to
learning from this group.
Thanks to all of you for the skills and insight that you are willing to share.

Sarah