[humanser] Tips for preparing for field placement

Quinto Sanchez sanchezq at prodigy.net
Mon Jun 4 01:30:11 UTC 2012

Hello Anjelina,

I am a Licensed Professional Counselor Intern currently, and finally am
going to finish my hours next month for full licensure. In regards to your
question of whether to work before pursuing your MSW or not. I would say
that you having a degree in social work allows you to work on various levels
assisting others; the question is   if your goal is to directly provide
psychotherapy or something along the lines of case management/ information
and referral. If you really want to provide psychotherapy I would recommend
to go on ahead and immediately finish your schooling. If your choosing to
perform case management or information and referral, then go on ahead and
start working. The reason I say this is that with a BSW I don't think you
are permitted  to perform actual therapy but, if therapy is not your goal
then you might as well find employment and you can always pursue your MSW in
the future. So it all comes down to what are your goals for working. I hope
this helps a little.