[humanser] Tips for preparing for field placement

Kathy McGillivray kjm at usfamily.net
Mon Jun 4 03:35:28 UTC 2012

Anjelina,

In deciding whether to go right into a grad program versus getting some work
experience under your belt, there are some questions you can ask yourself
such as:
1. What do you really want to do? Are you interested in doing psychotherapy
or do you want to do mor info and referral, etc, as the previous emailer
asked you. If you're not sure what you want, it could be beneficial to get
some experience before getting your Master's.
2. How much work experience do you have? If you don't have much experience,
it may be worth waiting. Sometimes, people can get an idea of what doing
therapy or other types of social work jobs will be like, but until they do
some work, they don't always really know what it's like. Working for a while
might help you clarify your goals and desires.
3. What kind of funding do you have? For example, I got my undergrad degree
in Pastoral Studies with a minor in psychology. I was doing campus ministry
for three years after I graduated. The state rehab agency said, "You have a
job so we're going to close your case. If you want to get a Master's degree
and want some money from us, now is the time." I figured I could always go
back and do campus ministry, but the funding was there for my Master's
degree, so I went for it. So money plays a role.

4. How motivated are you? Are you sick of school and want to get out there
or are you really in the mindset of getting more education? I bring this up
because I am now considering whether I want to get a Psy.D., a PhD., or an
Ed.D. I've decided that I don't want any of them enough to really pursue
them at this point. Your motivation for schooling will affect the timing of
when you pursue a graduate degree.

While my Master's is in counseling psychology and not in social work, I
think some of these issues and questions are relevant. I wish you the best
as you make your decision.

Kathy McGillivray