[humanser] NCE Question

MARY CHAPPELL MTC5 at COX.NET
Thu Aug 1 01:15:17 UTC 2013

Serena,
aThe challenges of having a reader who may be less than literate in the
discipline and, consequently, may jeopardize successful completion has been
my experience in the past. Having undergone 7+ years of postgraduate studies
to earn the doctorate, I, like most of the professionals on this list am
troubled by this barrier. It sounds as if many of these capstone exams that
afford us licensure or certification, credentials to practice, are being
hindered to keep us out of the practice.

-----Original Message-----
From: humanser [mailto:humanser-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Serena
Cucco
Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 2:32 PM
To: Human Services Mailing List
Subject: Re: [humanser] NCE Question

Hi all,

When I took the licensed social worker exam in NJ, I was lucky enough to
take the exam in Braille using a reader/scribe to input my answers into the
computer.  When I went over the test the 2nd time, I had the reader read me
the questions to make it faster.  She didn't have any familiarity with the
material and had trouble pronouncing some of the social work terms.
Luckily, since I was also following along in Braille, I was able to figure
out the word she meant and that it was or wasn't the choice I wanted.  I
passed!  I certainly understand the NFB's battle to make all electronic
materials accessible to blind test takers.  Since I knew this was going to
be my last exam, since I know I'm not going to get my doctorate, however, I
decided to accept the reader/scribe accommodation.  I felt quite fortunate
to receive the exam in Braille, so was satisfied.

Serena

On 7/31/13, MARY CHAPPELL <MTC5 at cox.net> wrote:
> Darla,
> I appreciate the reality testing and I truly have the awareness and
> know that I must do what is necessary to sustain my family's well being.
> Mary

and learn from your experiences as well.