[humanser] seeking music therapist mentors

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 03:34:51 UTC 2013

Hi Ashley,

I am still a music therapy student in my undergrad, but I can say my
sighted classmates share those same concerns.  Sight is only part of
interpreting what a client feels physically or emotionally.  Your
friend should not be discouraged from entering the music therapy
field; it is growing and I do know of a few blind people who are
successfully doing it.

Your friend might try joining the yahoo group Music Therapists with
Visual Impairments.  It's organized by Janet Ingbar and while most of
the time it's pretty quiet, it could potentially be a good resource.

Kudos to you for helping him find a mentor; I can say from experience
that having one in the field who is also blind can make all the
difference because you can ask them literally anything about the job,
especially the specifics that sighted therapists might not have to
deal with or know much about.  I will let you know off the lists if I
find any more resources for your friend.

--
Kaiti