[humanser] Disclosure about Blindness to Clients

JD Townsend 43210 at Bellsouth.net
Fri Nov 1 04:01:50 UTC 2013

Hello:

I find this idea interesting.  The term disclosing seems like a confession
or a revieling like having your loan organization having to disclose the
extent of their averice.

I have been accused, by children, of cheeting and not really being blind
when I tell them to stop rollling their eyes.  I have been touched by
psychotic folks desiring to heal me.  I have been prayed over by the devote.
But, my white cane or, in the past, my dog guide did the job of saying that
I am blind.  Often in the first or second session I am asked "Can you see
me" or "Can you see shadows," a most strange idea.

Most often my patients tell me that they forget about my blindness and that
is how it should be as I am not the focus of treatment.

Rarely there may be transference issues related to blindness and these need
to be addressed as a part of treatment.  Sometimes, if the situation calls
for a "real person" response I may identify my blindness as an example of
having to make adjustments when dealing with any sort of disability.

JD Townsend LCSW
Helping the light dependent to see.
Daytona Beach, Earth, Sol System