[humanser] Tips on Presentations & Braille

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 1 13:22:13 UTC 2013

I agree with Doug. Learn the basics first.
I think sometimes we get caught up in telling people to learn the whole code
without giving thought to their goals.
This woman is older and may not have the sensativity in her fingers to pick
up braille fast. In my experience, I find that people learning braille later
do not have as much sensativity to the dots and tracking seems harder. They
tend to scrub every letter more when learing or beginning reading. what I
mean is they go up and down each cell to read the letter where as braille is
supposed to be read with the finger pads.

By all means learn grade 2 if you want to read for pleasure. Learn grade 1
first though!
But I believe that grade 1 can serve your personal needs fine. You can label
items, write notes like appointment reminders, and yes, write notes for a
presentation. As a braille reader since elementary school, I use braille
notes efficiently for presentations and notetaking.
Since I have low vision though too, I did learn print first but fortunately
had a  insightful vision teacher who realized braille would help me more as
my eyes easily fatigued. I use print still for reading can labels and its
real helpful to read signs and things like that when walking around too.

Anyway, I may have some ideas for the presenter and will write them later.

Ashley