[humanser] Tips on Presentations & Braille

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 1 13:35:05 UTC 2013

Kaiti,
good points. I learned grade 1 as well as a child first.
I really think you need to walk before running.

Adults who are learning to read english start with the alphabet first, the
building blocks of words.
They build up to reading sentences and paragraphs.
After letters, they learn words. They learn concepts such as how to hold a
book and reading direction if their first language did not teach this.
Words  are on flashcards.
After words, they learn to read simple sentences.
Then, they slowly build to reading
whole sentences and paragraphs.

So, why would it be different for a blind adult learning to read braille?
Start with the basics and learn in order.
I was going to volunteer to teach ESL but at the time decided I did not have
the time commitment, however, I did go to the training workshops. Basics,
basics, and basics were stressed first. Oh, and lots of repetition.

Finally, I do see the need to review or teach spelling; we cannot assume the
adult learning braille has a good grasp of spelling. Spell check has made us
lousy spellers and besides, sighted people recognize whole words sometimes,
and do not pay attention to individual letters that form words.

So sometimes we need to address spelling too in braille.

Okay, just had to repeat myself and get on my soapbox.

Ashley