[humanser] Human Services: GRE & JAWS

Lillie Pennington lilliepennington at fuse.net
Mon Dec 8 02:07:07 UTC 2014

Hello Everyone,
While I am not either officially in the human services or healthcare
professions yet, I have seriously considered both (a nurse in the healthcare
sector, and a counselor, psychologist, therapist, and now social worker in
the human services sector.) I have been thinking about this question today
and the resulting thing I didn't know was, how many healthcare professionals
are there that are blind?

I think there is not really a line between where healthcare professions and
human service professions begin. Also, I do think a lot of our concerns
would match theirs (electronic medical records, software, inaccessible
tests, and dealing with patients/clients and colleagues) coming to mind
right now.
There are also those professions that clearly cross boundaries into both
sectors, such as psychiatric nurses, social workers and psychologists that
work in hospitals, just for a couple of examples.
With this in mind, I would personally vote to change the name. It is also
possible that eventually the healthcare professionals will break away and
start their own devision. However, I am personally in favor of collaboration
because I think both groups could learn something from each other.

These are just my thoughts.

Thanks,
Lillie