[humanser] Question about Professional Internship Accomodations

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 01:17:03 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I thought about this as a potential issue I may face this morning.
Before I can take the exam to become a Board-Certified Music Therapist
I will need to complete a 1040 hour professional internship at one of
the country's pre-approved music therapy internship sites (through the
American Music Therapy Association).  I have had some issues with
accomodations in professional courses which require me to lead
sessions, write clinical documentation in a specific way, etc.  I am
worried that even if I fix these issues with the professors I have now
and complete my undergrad without further complications that I may
experience similar difficulties in an internship.  However, I do know
that the internship is set up as a class all music therapy majors have
to register for with the university, and even though we can walk at
graduation with our peers diplomas are not distributed to music
therapy students until they complete their internship requirements.
Because I would have to register for the class in order to take an
internship, and would in theory remain a student, as well as a
registered disability services student after graduation, I think that
I could have an accommodation letter prepared by my university's DS
office.  My question is, would an internship supervisor, who most
likely will not have experience dealing with this sort of thing and
will not be a member of my university faculty, be required to abide by
the rules of my university and their accomodations letter since they
are not technically faculty?  I know this could potentially be a gray
area, so I'd love to hear thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks in advance.