[humanser] Question about Professional Internship Accomodations

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 9 01:38:15 UTC 2014

Kaiti,
I think it all depends on whether you get a cooperative intern site.
Can you pick the site? If so, you can sort of shop around to see who seems
open minded.

I think you will have to work out any accomodations with your supervisor on
site. I really do not think the school can do much; sure you can give a
letter from them if you want or even have a meeting between you, your
supervisor and the dss office staff.
But, no they are not  faculty, and therefore I cannot see them being bound
to honor any instructions from school.

True they will have no experience with this; so you have to educate them.
What was the issue with documents now?
I don't know how you have to write
your documentation, but if its paper based, use a reader. if pc based, I
suspect its not accessible; probably some inaccessible form or a pdf file
you cannot read or software you cannot use.
Maybe you can have someone read the form to you and you can make a note of
what you need to write down. Then write it on a notetaker as you work with
the client.
Another thought is perhaps have the agency make you an accessible file
through Word or excell; some database info  can
be exported to excell, btw.
If it’s a problem of knowing what to write due to lack of information about
nonverbal signs,
my best advice is to ask your clients how they are feeling. If you can work
one to one, you can probably hear subtle movements indicating moods. When
people are upset or angry, they're probably going to fidgit or show it in
how they talk.

If I go to grad school for social work or some human service thing, I also
fear these issues coupled with transportation. its not you just getting to
work wich I can likely work out through paratransit or other means, but also
having to drive clients or drive to their homes. Buses and paratransit do
not go everyplace I need, so  public transit really is not a full proof
method.

I hope things work out!

Ashley