[humanser] updates

Mary Ann Robinson brightsmile1953 at comcast.net
Sun Nov 23 17:35:45 UTC 2014

Hello list Members,

Forgive me for this long post.  First of all, I want to thank our president
Merry Schoch,
for her warm encouraging message of support.  Michigan certainly has many
challenges ahead of us.  The struggles, courage, and support of our national
division members and federation
philosophy contributed to my desire to start a division in Michigan.

The community mental health that my company contracts with recently
established a patient portal that is supposed to be screen reader friendly
and should grant patients access to information about their vital signs,
appointments,
medications and diagnosis.  I have not tested it and a request has been made
for a blind person to do so.

At our state convention in October, a resolution regarding electronic health
records was passed and I am including it below.

I will keep the list informed as developments occur.  Please keep Michigan
in your thoughts in the days ahead and have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Respectfully,

Mary Ann Robinson President NFBMI Human Services Division

Resolution 2014-01 Inaccessibility of Electronic Health Records in Michigan
WHEREAS, the transition from print-based medical records to electronic
health records (EHRs) offers the opportunity to expand the circle of
participation in the healthcare industry by giving blind providers
mainstream access to systems and material that they need in order to do
their jobs without the need for alternative formats, specialized services,
and customized supports, and by giving blind patients private and equal
access to their health records; and
WHEREAS, most current EHR technology is inaccessible to blind patients and
blind people working in or pursuing work in the healthcare industry,
creating new barriers that may ultimately drive blind people out of the
industry altogether and prevent blind patients from having equal access to
and privately viewing their records; and
WHEREAS, Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 have been in effect
since 2008 and are the means by which EHR technology can be made accessible;
and
WHEREAS, blind patients and workers in the health care industry in Michigan
are facing extreme and needless discrimination as a result of inaccessible
EHR technology: Now, therefore,
BE IT RESOLVED by the National Federation of the Blind of Michigan in
Convention assembled this 12th day of October, 2014, in the city of Flint,
Michigan that we strongly demand compliance to all laws which insure our
right to information and that the Department of Human Services, hospitals,
outpatient physical health clinics, the Department of Community Health, the
46 community mental health agencies/authorities and any healthcare provider
that deploys HER technology proactively to demand without delay,
accessibility from developers, since all of these entities are stakeholders
in this matter and will never fully realize the benefits of EHR technology
unless that technology is accessible to users with disabilities; and
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that within 30 days this organization shall request
legal consultation with our national office to determine if any declaratory,
injunctive relief, or any other legal remedies would be deemed appropriate.