[humanser] Handling Silence in Therapy

JD Townsend 43210 at Bellsouth.net
Tue Sep 30 23:31:40 UTC 2014

YES!

Engagement is not only a verbal exercise.  If a youth doesn't talk I engage
them in play, depending on the age this might be one of my favorites:  the
card game War or playing with blocks.  War is an easy game that most kids
already know, but playing with a blind person with regular cards puts them
in a position they are not used to & talk often happens.

I will often ask for pictures, then ask the patient to tell me about it,
asking questions like, "Who lives there" or "Are they happy or sad or angry
or what?"

Usually I ask what they look like, what's their race, who lives with them,
or what's their music.  Some kids attempt to talk through their music,
playing a tune for me in session or telling me about a movie.
And, I frequently ask questions that are dumb, like "Larry, what's your
first name?"

If a really silent one comes along I might ask their help with something, if
nothing else, I might ask if they might be willing to lead me to the office
or lobby.  Anything to elicit their trust;  if I trust them to guide me,
then they might be willing to trust a little back.  Is that playing the
"BLIND CARD?"  With some I'll engage them by asking them to read the braille
code on one of the NFB braille alphabet cards.

A 6-year old patient came in to see the psychiatrist & ran away into my
office, she grabbed my white cane and declared, "Look!  I'm blind!"  Mom & I
laughed.