[humanser] Self-disclosure of blindness with a specific population

Janice Toothman janice.toothman at verizon.net
Mon Mar 23 22:28:23 UTC 2015

Hi Kalti,
I think that you have to evaluate whether you hesitation not to tell
them is due to you perception that of vulnerablity and that as a
therapist you need to be the "expert".

The  two things I want you to consider is that when clients identify
with you in some way or feel that you are "like them" then they are more
likely to change or to talk about themselves and their experiences.

Also, the judical use of self-disclosure will further the therapeutic
alliance.  Even in a group setting, it is important for the leader to
model appropriate behavior.

As to whether everyone will remember what you said, probably not. That
is the nature of the population you are working with. However,  when you
respect your clients and treat them with dignity (i.e. self-disclose).
This clears ups speculation and inaccurate thinking and conversation
that either you deflect or are vague in answering (my speculation here).

Finally, when I worked with intellectually and developmentally disabled
adults, I self-disclosed that I am deaf-blind. My clients had to
use/wear my FM system in order for me to hear them.  I had a guide dog
(which they loved and wanted to pet and I had to remind them that they
could not pet a working guide dog.  However, on my last day of my
internship, I took of my guide dog harness for a period of time to allow
anyone to come an pet her.
These individuals quickly became accostomed to wearing my FM System and
none were fearful of my guide dog.

Janice