[humanser] CACREP or Not for Counselors

Janice Toothman janice.toothman at verizon.net
Fri Sep 11 01:10:23 UTC 2015

Hi Everyone,

I do not know about social work; but in my field of counseling there is
a battle with the VA and Tricare to have Licensed Clinical Professional
Counselors (LCPC) receive reimbursement for their services.  Plus they
require the an LCPC have come from a CACREP program or Council on
accreditation of Counseling  and Related Education Programs.  They also
stipulate that an LCPC must work a minimum of 5 years post licensure to
qualify.

This affects many counselors because the American Counseling Association
in the future will not longer give licenses to applicants from non
CACREP programs. I was not aware of this issue/debate when I went to my
University to take my counseling courses.  As I struggle to look for a
counseling job to complete my 3000 hours to become an LCPC, even
employers not associated with the VA are asking for CACREP accredited
counselors.  This is preventing good counselors from providing services
to patients or populations in need.  It is an injustice.

Janice