[humanser] practicum strategies

Merry Schoch merrys at verizon.net
Fri Apr 15 16:51:44 UTC 2016

Hi Nicole,

I am replying to you via the list because this topic has come up recently.
Yiska has posted to the list regarding her practicum and I appreciate all
who have responded to her.  I am happy to hear that you are supported in
your practicum.  Below are some of the strategies I used in my field
placement and in my current private practice.

Since 1997, when I lost my eyesight (totally),  I have travelled through to
this  current moment of times when I have been totally blind to times that I
have been  able to use glasses to read the computer screen but at all times
havve fallen within the legal definition of blindness.  My graduate program
had four full semesters; however, I did use a summer term for one of my
electives as to be able to balance the work load as bestt as possible.  At
the very beginning of the third semester I ruptured the globe to my eye and
went from being able to see the computer screen and being able to manage the
universities' blackboard program with corrective glasses.  This injury
created instantly a total loss of eyesight.  I ran across obstacles where
Blackboard was not accessible.  I had already been in my field place for one
full semester and the agency worked cooperatively with me.  Adaptive
software was on the  computer I used there since I did use JAWS for lengthy
readings.

As far as assessments I was able to use the agency's form and follow those
guidelines. However, without eyesight my Division of Blind Services computer
tech came in and was able to work it out that I was stilla ble to use JAWS
to fill out the form.    Today and during that period I communicate verbally
with clients to gain information that someone else may use their sight for.

I disclose my blindness early on in the therapeutic  relationship by stating
to the client if they nodded their heads for answering yes or no I may sit
quiet for a moment and then remind them to use their words.  When we discuss
this I make things light and humorous as to aid the client in being as
comfortable with the situation.    Sometimes clients forget and still nod
but we never make it a big deal.  I can be kinda goofy in session, of course
depending on the circumstances, so especially with kids I'll start rolling
my head and being silly and then get their verbal answers.

Yiska mention in her post how to get visual information during an
assessment.  When working with children with trauma issues one of the
modalities I use is Trauma Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy TF-CBT.  In
one of the exercises with this model is to ask the client how others see
them such as a teacher, parent(s), sibling(s), as well as themselves.  I use
this during an assessment and ask for how they would describe themselves and
can use this to determine if they may be disheveled, etc.   When talking
fashion to young teen girls , it can be easy to gain perspectives on their
appearance  through verbal communication  by being interested in what type
of make up they like or how they like their hair style(s). Showing genuine
interest in the individuals you work with will aid in establishing rapport
and trust.  Unfortunately, many times with agencies they expect a full bio
in one session; I was lucky that we had two sessions to complete the
bio.Other documentation at the agency had to be re-formatted for my needs
but there was no issue with this.

With my previous guide dog after she and I established our bond and working
relationship I was able to use her with some of my clients as well.  If a
client became upset she would get up and lay her head gently on their feet.
I always inquired with clients before I made an appointment with them if
they have any allergies, fears, or objections to having a dog in the room.

In my private practice I have created  my own forms so I have no issues with
accessibility.  I do have issues with being an insurance provider and each
company is differen in the application process and submission of claims.  I
am currently proceeding through this "school of hard knocks" but know it the
end I will prevail and prosper.

Another way of doing things is to have the clients describe things
especially if they draw a picture.  I find children have no problems with
this.  My vision fluctuates some times I have some usable vision and other
times not so when I play card games or other games the client is my
describer - I use games with the children.  I also love using play-doh and I
have a great time since it is so tactile.

Thanks for reaching out to the list.  I am in hopes that those who have not
replied will reply to the list so the division can use others' techniques
and have a section on our website that is being developed for such
inquiries.

Thanks again Nicole, Yiska, and all!

With warmest regards,
 Merry C. Schoch