[humanser] Concerns about nonverbal communication in counseling?

JD Townsend 43210 at bellsouth.net
Mon Jan 16 02:37:41 UTC 2017

Just for your information, and, perhaps, to present to your agency;  there
is little research to support the benefits visual interpretation of body
language and some evidence that the sighted incorrectly interpret these
visual clues.  This is difficult for the light dependent to understand.

I have been in the field as a working professional from 1980 and only rarely
do I feel I have missed such a clue.

One of my patients has worn the same moo-moo for the past year, with no
underwear and no hygiene during her monthly cycle.  I don’t know this
because of visual evidence, but from discussion.  I don’t know the skin
color of my patients, but skin color and racial identification do become a
part of our dialogue;  interestingly often many evaluators have determined
this information visually and got it wrong.

If you can’t tell when someone is fidgeting, you are not listening.  Often
patients believe that I can hear it when they roll their eyes, not due to
some extrasensory talent, but listening to silence.

This is a perpetual question in interviews, either said or unsaid;  so, it
pays to have a ready answer.  One way is simply to bring up the subject and
state that this has not been an issue in other situations and that she will
be favorably impressed with your assessment talents.  Provide an example if
you like, such as noting that she is wearing heals or sandals.  I might add
that on rare occasion you might ask a trusted person in reception about a
client’s appearance.

Like most things, your confidence is what will get you over this bump.

JD