[humanser] Concerns about nonverbal communication in counseling?

Elif Emir Öksüz filerime at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 21:55:57 UTC 2017

Experienced professionals underlined many great points. I am quite new
in the field compared to them. Beyond echoing what they have said, I
would share that I even worked with a client who had an eating
disorder and over concerned how she looked. Once, I brought into our
conversation this issue and me being blind. I asked her “So you spend
so much time to put your make up and get dress; however, I don’t see
that at all. So how do you feel about this?” She said something about
finding me nonjudgmental and feeling comfortable.

So many sighted people do something wrong; however, other sighted
people are not being judged with what others had done. Being a
minority and the “out group homogeneity” concepts theoretically help
with explaining this phenomenon, yet this is still disturbing.