[humanser] Social work jobs

Amanda Cape cape.amanda at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 12:56:38 UTC 2018

Hi Yiska, Carly, Justin and others,
Yiska, you have started a very interesting discussion, so thank you
for reaching out. I currently have my BSW and live in Montreal,
Canada. I have had my degree for over 2 years but was not sure that I
want to pursue a master's of social work, at least right now. I found
it difficult to find paid employment when I graduated and was very
frustrated and disheartened by this. I also only have light
perception, and was wondering if you have any functional vision. I
began volunteering with several organizations, while looking for work,
and was eventually hired by a sheltered workshop for individuals who
have intellectual disabilities and mental health challenges, as a
social counselor covering another counselor's sick leave. This was a
great experience and I really liked my colleagues and the clients I
served, however it came to an end after about 7 months. I was then
looking for work again and was unsure of where would be a good fit for
me and welcoming. I was hired for a 6-month internship position at the
CNIB, a nonprofit for the blind in Canada, as coordinator of career
support programs. I hope that I enjoy this work and that it continues
for longer than 6 months or that something else will come up for me. I
am looking forward to hearing everyone's experiences, and Carly, what
do you do?
Thanks,
Amanda

--