[Journalists] TV versus newspaper press release

Bryan Bashin bashin at calweb.com
Tue Sep 22 02:36:45 UTC 2015

Linda,

Actually press releases for television can be far more likely to get
covered if the release includes some information specific to what a
television assignment editor is looking for.  The release, above all, should
say what there is to photograph.  If the options are just blind people
sitting at a table that is DOA.  Figure out a way to highlight blind people
doing stuff.  The more unusual the better.  The more active the better.  And
the more emotion the better.  If the goal is to get covered that is what you
must do for an effective television press release.

Additionally, if you have what television calls 'b-roll' or existing video
of blind people doing stuff -- and here is the important part -- in your
city -- it is more likely to be covered.

Television isn't about information.  It's about story.  Is there a blind
student at her first month in college?  How about someone new to a job?  Or
maybe a new family of blind parents could be profiled.  Any of these stories
can get a powerful blind-positive message and be comprehensible to even an
assignment editor.

Best of luck,

Bryan