[Journalists] Encrypted communications software

Rachael Vacanti revacanti at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 14 18:58:39 UTC 2016

I've never had to use encrypted software or anything like that. I usually try and do phone interviews since I live in a small town and my sources aren't local. I usually email to set something up, then do a bluetooth phone interview where I take notes on my laptop. My roommate's tactic is to put her phone on speaker, and then record the interview, before transcribing it. I've yet to try that tactic. I've recorded and transcribed enough. I'm getting better at bluetooth interviews. I've done a FaceTime interview twice which is great because then I can actually see them and they're less likely to hang up on me. I think I've only had to do an email interview once.

Sensitive issues are an interesting topic. I'm polite about it and mention that it could get uncomfortable so they're aware. I actually asked my professor to do a lecture on interviewing minorities (disabled, LGBT, etc), and my roommate wanted lecture on interviewing on sensitive topics. Needless to say I can't wait for those lectures.

Rachael E. Vacanti
(402)-960-9085 (mobile)
revacanti at Hotmail.com<mailto:revacanti at Hotmail.com>