[Journalists] press reader

Elizabeth Campbell liz at star-telegram.com
Tue Oct 25 22:09:20 UTC 2016

Hi Francisco,

Thank you for following up with information about the PressReader web site
and app. I haven't downloaded the app, but I find the web site to be very
difficult and cumbersome to navigate.
First, the newspapers are presented in a format to replicate the print
versions which presented challenges when trying to navigate them with JAWS
because of hyphenated words and column spacing..
Also, I had a difficult time at first telling which paper I was looking at,
but when I carefully scrolled through the site, I could tell the difference
between the U.S. and international papers.
A question I have for you is how relevant is Pressreader to your work as I
am not familiar with this being used in newsrooms throughout the U.S. The
trend is for newspapers to push more of their content to the readers via
social media sites such as Facebook.
Facebook whether we like it or not is fast becoming the platform where
papers are sending their stories which in turn are "liked" and "shared" by
others on Facebook. We also see lots of traffic on Twitter, but Facebook
captures a much larger share of the audience.
We also use the various wire services when following breaking news or
looking for other types of stories.
We also write our stories and headlines so that they are easily viewed on
smart phones or tablets which is far different than the printed page format.
I would appreciate it if other on list can also provide feedback to
Francisco. I will also respond to the email from the NFB legal team with my
thoughts.

Best

Liz
Elizabeth Campbell