[Mi-abs] Student Seminar at State Convention

Elizabeth Mohnke lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 24 23:05:40 UTC 2012

Hello Jordyn and List,

The past few years we had a NABS representative come to our state convention
and student seminar. Is there any interest in having a NABS representative
come again this year? If I recall correctly, I believe the national student
division pays for the transportation while we would be responsible for
paying for room accommodations, registration, and banquet. I would be
willing to share my room with the NABS representative at no charge to the
student division.

I also have an idea for a fundraiser if anyone is interested. In the state
of Michigan there are two major colleges that are known to be rivals. We
could have two different jars of M&M's to represent these two different
colleges, and then have people buy guesses to guess how many M&M's are in
each jar.

For example, we could have a jar of peanut M&M's represent Michigan State,
and we could have regular &M's represent the University of Michigan. We
could then charge people a $ per guess, or six guesses for $5. Or if you
think this would be too much per guess, we could make it $1 for two guesses
for the same jar, or one guess for each jar.

I thought this might be an interesting twist on the traditional raffles
every everyone does at convention. I also figured it would be easy to do,
and would not require any up front cost for the student division. If people
are interested in doing this fundraiser at state convention, I would be
willing to provide the jars and M&M's at no charge to the student division.

Anyway, I just thought I would share some thoughts on student activities for
state convention. If anyone else has any other ideas, please feel free to
chime in on the conversation. Or if people do not want to put their ideas
out on the email list for all to see, perhaps we could have a conference
call to discuss some ideas so Jordyn does not feel as though she is doing
this all on her own.

Elizabeth