[Mn-abs] Freedom for the Blind

Kelby Carlson kelbycarlson at usfamily.net
Fri Jan 7 02:46:58 UTC 2011

Arielle,

I'm sorry to say I do not remember you.  If we talked in person I
very well might remember your voice, though.  I'm really glad
people have been answering my questions; I hope it's no trouble.
(Speaking of campbbeaI'm considering applying for Youth Slam this
summer, but haven't decided.)

I would agree that Omvig's book isn't primarily geared for me.
Based on what I've read, I've gone most of the way--my mobility
training has been discovery oriented in a lot of ways, especially
recently (though planning of routes is also involved.) I just
want to know that I have my own niche and to be able to feel
competent (which Omvig's book made me question; but that's not
entirely bad.)

I've just made an initiative to use sighted guide less, if only
for the practice.  I can tell you that even the few times I have
done this have been tremendously empowering.  It gives me such a
feeling of control over myself and I feel much more blended in
when I am simply walking alongside someone.

<mn-abs at nfbnet.org
> [...]

matter
>of personal choice.  The best way to figure it out is to try a
whole
>bunch of canes in different environments and see which one, or
ones,
>you find give you the best tactile feedback and work best in the
>situations you are in.  My preference is to use a long rigid cane
when
>I am walking a lot or when there's snow or ice on the ground, and
>use a 50/50 cane when I am traveling or going somewhere like a
>restaurant or show where I am just walking short distances and my
cane
>will be folded up for most of the outing (while I am sitting
down).
>The 50/50 cane is a good compromise because it only folds in
half,
>making it sturdier and more sensitive than traditional folding or
>telescoping canes, while still being shorter and less obtrusive
when
>folded than the straight cane is.  You can buy 50/50 canes for
$10 from
>the NFB store.  But, what works for you may be different, so
experiment
>with different canes and see what you like.  I'd just emphasize
not to
>berate yourself or worry about being "un-NFB-like" if you prefer
not
>to use a straight cane all the time.

>Arielle

>On 1/6/11, Steve Jacobson <steve.jacobson at visi.com> wrote:
>> Kelby,

>> I apparently misspelled your name.  I am a braille reader but
used speech
>> here and just didn't notice.  Let's hear it for braille, but let
me also
>> apologize for my
>> carelessness.  I should have checked it better with speech.

>> Best regards,

>> Steve Jacobson

>> On Thu, 06 Jan 2011 16:36:26 -0600, Steve Jacobson wrote:

>>>Keldy,

>>>While I think that we have learned to try to explain our
positions more
>>> rather than just lay them out, I don't think that we have ever
been as
>>> inflexible as
>>>some made us out to be.  Often, I have heard it explained that
blind people
>>> come to the Federation and are then all taught to jump to the
beat of a
>>> single
>>>drum.  What I don't think some have understood is that most of us
have
>>> become a part of the NFB because we found something there that
reinforced
>> what
>>>we already thought.  After joining, I certainly learned things
that changed
>>> my mind on some issues, but I also worked within the
organization to
>>> change
>> other
>>>minds as well.  I used a folding cane for a good while into my
membership
>>> in the NFB, and there were those who told me I should use a
straight cane.
>>>  At
>>>that point, their approach didn't work for me because partly they
never
>>> explained why, and partly because nobody was going to tell me
what to do
>>> even
>>>though I was a committed member.  <smile>  It took standing in
the middle
>>> of Hennepin with that little piece of pipe to change my mind.
Some have
>>>believed that we never debate.  They have not been at some of our
>>> conventions or read some of our e-mail lists.  However, we try
hard to
>>> pull together
>>>once a decision is made.  I will support an issue in terms of
working for
>>> the NFB even if I voted against it knowing that means others who
may not
>>> support
>>>an issue of mine will do the same when the vote goes my way.
Some see that
>>> as inflexibility.  I think, though, that you will find that each
of us has
>>> taken a
>>>different path to get to where we are now, and that our reasons
for being
>>> here include getting encouragement ourselves, having a place to
go with
>>> our
>>>questions, and to gry to make life better for those blind people
who come
>>> after us.

>>>I did not know that "sighted guide" is now being taught to be
used in
>>> conjunction with the cane.  When I learned it, one was
specifically told
>>> to remain a
>>>step or so behind the person whose arm one had to give oneself
warning that
>>> a step up or down was coming.  One would feel the elbow rise or
fall
>>> giving
>>>one a little time to react.  I am glad to see that has apparently
changed,
>>> and who knows, we may have affected that on some level.  During
my
>>> lifetime, I
>>>can remember when we were considered to be crazy to think that
the cane
>>> should be given to elementary students.  Some even felt that
middleschool
>>> or
>>>junior was too soon for the cane.  Stil, it has become pretty
mainstream to
>>> introduce kids to canes when they are young, now.  Some issues
such as
>> getting
>>>canes to kids we advocated for a long time and we felt it was
important
>>> enough to push.  Some could have seen that as inflexible, but it
was the
>>> only way
>>>get thinking to change.

>>>You asked about walking less using sighted guide.  What I have
found over
>>> time is that I am more aware of my surroundings when I am not
walking
>> sighted
>>>guide.  If someone is showing me around a college campus, for
example, I
>>> will retain a lot more if I am walking with the person but
walking
>>> independently.
>>>That may not be true for everyone, but it is for me.  Using a
cane and
>>> refining those skills requires some instruction as you have
already had,
>>> but practice is
>>>what will make using a cane second nature for you.  The more you
use it,
>>> the more natural it will all feel.  There are going to be times
when it is
>>> simply more
>>>practical to walk sighted guide with someone, but what I always
wanted to
>>> shoot for was knowing that I was choosing to walk with someone
rather than

>>>feeling I couldn't do it any other way.  In my case, I had to
force myself
>>> to walk alone more, especially in the beginning, so that I could
build my
>>> confidence
>>>as a traveler and have the use of a cane feel natural.  It didn't
mean that
>>> I never took an arm, but it was something I tried to keep in the
forefront
>>> of my
>> mind.
>>>If I found that it was a pattern to walk with someone when I went
to a
>>> certain place, I would try to find a reason to do it alone
sometime or to
>>> at least walk
>>>separately so that I would know I could do it.

>>>In short, I think that the picture sometimes painted of NFB
members has
>>> been wrong, but there is also no doubt that we have worked hard
to change
>>> some
>>>things and change isn't always easy for some to accept.  I hope
you keep
>>> asking questions here.  It is good for all of us.

>>>Best regards,

>>>Steve Jacobson

http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/mn-abs_nfbnet.org/nabs.pres
ident%40gmail.com