[nabs-l] Choosing a Foreign Language

Robert Spangler spangler.robert at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 16:33:06 UTC 2009

LOL, did you learn to speak the supposed President of Iran's name in
Arabic or Farsi, as Farsi is their official language?  Arabic, as others
have said on this list, would be a very useful language in foreign
relations.  I feel that Chinese would be very good for business as we
will probably be negotiating with them more and more over the next
decades.  I myself have studied Arabic but never how to write it--I used
Pimsleur's audio tutorials which focus on speaking.  The only thing you
run into here is that classes that you take will most likely require you
to write as well and I am not sure what type of accommodations they
would set up--If you could work with the teacher one-on-one, for
instance, perhaps they can teach you how to write the language using
Roman letters as that's what languages like Arabic and Chinese do for
Braille.  In fact, in the 1800s, there were a few Roman systems
developed for writing Chinese so that people in the Army could learn it
easier.  Chinese, with its pictographic way of writing things, makes it
impossible to "sound out" words to learn pronunciation.

- Robby