[nabs-l] Choosing a Foreign Language

Adrianne Dempsey adrianne.dempsey at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 18:35:11 UTC 2009

I speak Ottawa, German, Slovak, and Spanish, though none of them fluently.
I speak enough to get around and can have deasent conversations. German is
most like English, Spanish is the simplest, and Slovak is similar to
pollish.  As far as a base, that depends what languages you want to learn.
Languages are categorized by type.  Love languages are like Spanish French
Italian and so on and so on.  A good base for these languages is latten but
it is not useful on it's own except in the medical and science fields,
however it will help your command of English and with the love languages.
Then their are Germanic languages, German, English, Flemish, Dutch, and so
on, a good base for these is German, but you already speak English, so you
have your base for that.  Their are the Slavic languages, Slovak, pollish,
Russian, and so on and so on.  A good base for this is probably Russian.
But any eastern European language is very good to learn as it is more rare
that people hear speak them and their are many good jobs in political fields
as well as social work.  Arabic is a good language for a base of middle
eastern languages.  Also it is very sought out in a lot of job fields.
Chinese would be a good language to learn also, as it will most likely be
the business language of the world in the next ten years or so.  However
Chinese has pitch changes and their very important if you want to say the
right thing.  So it gets complicated.  Korean is probably a good language to
learn in this category, as much business is dun with that country and in
future allot of political ventures.  Japanese is good to learn for the same
reason, but it has become a fad in the U.S.and so it would be more
competition in trying to find a job.  Then their is Swahili and that is
becoming a universal business language between countries in Africa.  I hope
this helps some.