[nabs-l] The role of a student division?

Angela fowler fowlers at syix.com
Fri May 22 03:07:34 UTC 2009

Jim, I like the way you think.
	Now, before I get myself in trouble by supporting this idea, let me
say that his state's situation is different than say... Mine in California.
He's in a very rural state with I presume very few chapters scattered around
a large area. In California there are many chapters with diverse membership,
so the question isn't so clear but in Jim's case I think its very clear. We
need to give these 20-somethings something to relate too.
	Now Jim says that his local chapter is composed primarily of folks
30 years older than himself, folks in their 50's. A group needs to be
started in that area which makes the younger folks feel at home. Since
younger folks identify more with their student days, why not start with
MABS?
	Trust me, when the non-student group of people under 30 gets strong
enough they will break away from MABS and either form their own chapter or
join the one that already exists. Student groups focus on college related
stuff, and a non-student can't relate, believe me I've been there. Jim is in
a situation however, where he needs to give them some place to start, and
the logical place is MABS.