[nabs-l] Thoughts on the United lawsuit

Joe Orozco jsorozco at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 01:49:42 UTC 2010

Steve,

I always respect your thoughtful responses, even when we disagree.  There's
not much to debate here since the action has already been carried out, and
the fact is that the lawsuit will help more than hurt us.

That being the case, I did not ask anyone in power for the logic behind
their approach.  My sense is that I would not have gotten an answer, not
when they didn't bother asking for the membership's opinion as to whether or
not this specific action should have been taken in the first place.  Yes, I
know there was a resolution this past summer, but advocacy can cost far less
than litigation.  When you look at it from a cost benefit angle, the people
you say are mostly flying for business reasons is even more reason not to
make this a high priority since we're still looking at a 75% unemployment
rate among the blind.  Your link between the expansion of computer
restaurant menus and the future potential of the handheld computer itself,
to me, is more reason why we should spend our limited funds on the
manufacturers rather than the distributors, which is to say the producers of
the kiosks and not the airlines that rely on them.

Ultimately, there is no disagreement about the action in of itself, just the
priorities into which these actions fit and the funds used in building the
agenda.  I am a little perturbed that we have moved away from the
legislative halls and focused more on courtrooms to get our message across.

Respectfully,

Joe