[nabs-l] Thoughts on the United lawsuit

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Wed Nov 3 02:41:08 UTC 2010

Joe,

In general, we are never going to get more blind people employed if we only concentrate on only those things that are done by the unemployed.  We have
to be concerned with both.  We also have to adopt an approach, not vote on every single action or wait until the convention before we can take a vote.
There is just too much that happens too quickly to function that way.  If too many members come to believe that too many poor decisions are made, we'll
have a resolution to change things.

Just as with cellphones, the manufacturers of equipment are not going to do anything until they know they have a market.  In addition, many of the laws that
have been used for some of these actions do not cover manufacturers directly.  We can make a case that an airlines falls under laws that help us because
they are a public accommodation, and we might, if things go right, make that mean that these services have to be accessible.  We don't have the same
legal lever on manufacturers.  It does no good to take someone to court if you will loose because you don't have a legal position.  Ideally, if we had a legal
position to use, the manufacturer would be a better place to go with a lawsuit, but from my limited understanding of the law, the case is far less there than
where we might be able to use public accommodation as a lever.  Anyway, I understand that we may not disagree all that much, but I think there is a
tendency to think that nothing has been thought through, or as you said in your original note, that actions are taken at random.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson