[nabs-l] Thoughts on the United lawsuit

Marc Workman mworkman.lists at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 23:10:16 UTC 2010

Joe said,

Filing complaints and taking up lawsuits on issues of inaccessible
technology is a roundabout way of making workplaces more accessible
(traveling more feasible?), but does little to change attitudes about not
discriminating against blind people in the first place.

Marc says,
I'm not so sure it does all that little.  Inaccessible products and services
discourage, and sometimes entirely prevent, blind people from participating
in life's daily activities.  I think when sighted people see blind people
participating in the community, particularly when they are participating
independently, it goes a long way towards changing the attitudes of
blindness as tragedy, helplessness, and incompetence.  And these are the
attitudes that need to be changed if blind people are to reach their
employment potential.

I've heard you mention employment quite a few times, and I'm wondering if
you have specific ideas for addressing this issue.  This isn't me saying,
well why don't you share your bright ideas with us if you don't like the way
things are going! I agree that employment is probably the biggest issue
facing blind people; though I also think the 75% number is a bit misleading.
I would be interested in a break down of the stats.  For instance, What is
the employment rate for college educated blind people who were blind before
acquiring their education? And for those who became blind after college? For
those who became blind in their 50's? 40's? and so on.  I'm not aware of
available data that answer these questions.  That said, it is still the most
important issue, and so I'm always interested in any ideas people have for
addressing it.  A law suit is a fairly practical solution to the problem of
inaccessible products and services.  The solution to the employment problem
is much less apparent to me.  So I would be interested in hearing any ideas
you have.

Best,

Marc