[nabs-l] sort of disappointed

Josh Kennedy jkenn337 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 22:25:48 UTC 2010

Hi

Well I looked and looked and there are no blind catholic organizations
in the United States. I found the association of blind catholics, but
its in the United Kingdom and I surely cannot go there for meetings, at
least not at this point.

I am also disappointed to report that after extensive searching the only
catholic materials I can get in daisy format either daisy text or daisy
audio is on bookshare nls and rfbd. But you have to be a member to join
those. There are many public domain documents on the ewtn website which
are just text or word documents. I don't think EWTN thought of blind
people when they designed their site and their library. Here is what
would be really cool.
1. there are public domain catholic bibles and catholic catechisms. the
baltimore catechism 1901 and douay rheims bible are public domain
materials. they may be older but they're certainly readable. But they
are not in daisy format! It would be nice to have a blind catholics
devision which would combine both ACB and nfb blind people who are
catholics, interested in catholicism or whoever wants to join for
curiosity sake. I haven't created a website in years though. I guess I
could use ms-word to help me with that. And maybe we could have online
bible study or catechism classes for people. I wonder if anybody in my
parish would want to help or could help out with this? I think maybe
I'll ask next time. I'm the only blind person in my parish. My wife
doesn't go with me but I hope someday she will decide to. I do take my
sighted son to church with me though.

Oh, for those who don't have word. if you want to use openoffice to make
daisy books you can use vinux in a virtual machine it has openoffice
writer its accessible in vinux right out of the box. just add the daisy
plugin and off you go making daisy books. and you can copy and paste
your books to and from windows and vinux with vmware tools just using
copy and paste commands. I have word in windows. But converting ewtn
library documents to daisy will be a big project. First I have to get
familiar with how save as daisy works. Also for daisy audio microsoft
anna or the acapela voices would be good for converting to daisy audio I
think. So what do you guys think? There have to be more blind people who
are catholic out there besides just me, perhaps my wife in the future
well so far she's not catholic...

Josh